It seems like a simple task until the oddly shaped piece of fabric is lying limp and hopeless in your hands. These step by step instructions will make you a pro when the time comes.
1. Place the bow tie around your neck situating it so End A is two inches longer than End B.
2. Cross End A over End B.
3. Bring End A up and under the loop.
4. Now double End B over itself to form the front base loop of the bow tie.
5. Loop End A over the center of the loop you just formed.
6. Holding everything in place, double End A back on itself and poke it through the loop behind the bow tie.
7. Adjust the bow tie by tugging at the ends straightening the center knot.
Need more visuals? Charles French has a quick and easy video here.
Like anything else, keep practicing!